Enter Title

Buddy system

ESN Split, as a part of ESN (Erasmus student network), is a non-profit student volunteer organization with the mission to help ALL exchange students to integrate into Croatian culture and to help them with language and social life. More about ESN can be found on their Facebook page (link opens in a new window).

ESN Split provides incoming students with support through the “Buddy system” - local students from Split University act as support for incoming students before and during their study period in Split. Students can apply for “Buddies” by contacting ESN through email at: esn.split@gmail.com .

Student visas

Information about required travel documents for all foreign nationals as well as information about visa requirements for third-country (non EU) citizens and contacts of embassies can be found on the website of the Croatian Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. 

Visa application form is available online at crovisa.mvep.hr (available in English, Russian, Ukrainian, Albanian, and Turkish language). Printed and filled out application form, along with other required documents, should be submitted to the Croatian Embassy/Consulate, visa centre or through an accredited tourist agency. Only once we have all study application documents approved, we will send the student an acceptance letter that covers some of the documentation needed for visa application.

IMPORTANT! Visa application process might take up to several weeks or even months, so online application in due time is strongly recommended.

Accommodation options

Availability of student accommodation in the University's dormitories is limited. Details on requirements and availability of the University dormitory accommodation are provided on the Application & Accommodation page). 

Please note that - in case of not being allocated a spot in the university dormitory, you can find accommodation in privately owned premises. 

Information on private accommodation

The process of renting private accommodation should begin at least one month (preferably earlier) prior to your arrival in Split.

Students are expected to find private accommodation options independently. Do note that ESN Network and Buddies are available to assist students in finding appropriate accommodation.

Monthly rent in private accommodation varies from 150 EUR (bedroom, shared kitchen and bathroom) to 400 EUR (a nice studio apartment), depending on the location, room size, accommodation quality and facilities. Utilities such as electricity, heating, water and Internet connection are sometimes, but not always included in the rent. Always clarify the mode of covering those costs with the property owner before signing the contract.
Property owners often charge the amount of one monthly rent in advance (on arrival) as a safety deposit which is returned upon departure if there are no damages to the apartment.

Students should remember the importance of a notary registration for the rental contract with private landlords. It is one of the prerequisites to obtain a residence permit for non-EU students, but also a safeguard for your rights, especially when coming to exchange during the summer semester. Due to the fact that private properties are often rented as tourist accommodation during the summer season, your notary registered contracts prevent property owners from attempting to change the terms of the contract or faililing to honour it. 

The list of the Lease Contract Registration offices is available at: http://www.notaries-directory.eu/?language=en# .

If an appropriate accommodation is not found before arrival in Split, temporary accommodation can be found at some hostels and economy-rate hotels in Split and private flats in suburbs Podstrana, Solin and Kastela.


Regulated health insurance is the prerequisite for being granted a temporary residence permit. You should make sure that all arrangements for your healthcare coverage (purchasing travel health insurance, acquiring a European Health Insurance card etc.) are done before your arrival in Croatia.

1. EU students

Health care services are available with a European Health Insurance card valid during the entire study period in Croatia. Info: National Contact Point (NCP) | HZZO

To be fully insured in case of accidents when repatriation is needed, students should arrange travel medical insurance, valid during their entire study period in Split. In order to include eventual repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical care and/or emergency treatment in a hospital, it is recommended that the minimum insured cover of the travel insurance is 30.000 EUR.

2. non-EU students

Non-EU students must be fully insured against illness, accidents, death and civil liability for the whole duration of their stay in Croatia.

The issue of health care for non-EU-nationals during their stay in Croatia is regulated with some countries through special agreements signed between governments.

  • Countries with health care agreements with Croatia

Students from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Serbia, Montenegro and Turkey will obtain the certificate which enables them to receive health care in Croatia. Upon arrival in Split, they should replace the certificate of healthcare entitlements with the Patient’s certificate (in Croatian: bolesnički list) at the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (in Croatian: Hrvatski zavod za zdravstveno osiguranje; abbreviated HZZO). Central HZZO office can be found on Obala kneza Branimira 14 street, office hours: Monday-Friday from 08.00 to 15.30.  Upon presentation of the patient’s certificate, the student may obtain healthcare services from any doctor or health institution that has a contract with the HZZO within the scope established by bilateral agreement. Please note that you might be required to pay a participation fee if that is expected from Croatian insurers.

More info is available at HZZO pages:

  • Countries without health care agreements with Croatia

Students coming from countries which do not have social security agreements with Croatia (or if students are unable to obtain the document foreseen by the social security agreement) have 2 options:

1) become insured with the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO) upon arrival.

Steps are:

  • with Personal Identification Number (OIB) go to HZZO office at Obala kneza Branimira 14 street (Office hours -  Monday-Friday from 08.00 to 15.30). There, you will be provided temporary registration and issued a relevant confirmation letter entitling the student and bidning the HZZO to medical insurance after the residence regulation;
  • with the HZZO confirmation letter, the student returns to Central Police Station where the temporary residence permit is issued;
  • after providing a copy of the residence confirmation to the HZZO, the HZZO issues a document based on which the student attains the right to full health care within the network of physicians and health institutions of the HZZO (necessary documents: a copy of the first page of the passport, a copy of the passport page with visa and a copy of the residence confirmation);
  • the monthly health insurance cost is approximately 400 HRK per month (around 55 €uro), for which the appropriate Tax Department of the Ministry of Finances sends money orders to the students’ registered residence address in Croatia.


  • arrange for travel medical insurance that is valid during the entire study period in Split. In order to include eventual repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical care and/or emergency treatment in a hospital, it is recommended that min. ensured cover of the travel insurance is 30 000 €. The student will need to present this proof of medical insurance upon arrival to Split during application for the temporary residence permit.